Seek environmental justice through the strict enforcement of the Law, banishing impunity, corruption, indolence and lack of authority, and involving all sectors of society and the three levels of Government in this fight, under the most pure principles of fairness and justice.
Being a strong and reliable institution, where the implementation of the Environmental Law responds to the ideal of justice that people demand in a society in which each member is guardian of a friendly coexistence between man and nature.
• Stop the destruction of our natural resources and revert the processes of environmental deterioration.
• Ensure the full access of society to environmental justice in a prompt manner.
• Involve society and its organizations on the surveillance and environmental law enforcement, in a responsible and informed way.
• Strengthen the presence of PROFEPA and extend its territorial coverage, with federalist criteria.
• Construct an efficient and modern institution, under criteria of honesty, transparency and trustworthiness, in order to give a new image to society.
The Federal Attorney for Environmental Protection (PROFEPA - Procuraduría Federal de Protección al Ambiente) was legally born on June 4th, 1992 as a division of the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources (SEMARNAT - Secretaría de Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales) with technical and operational autonomy.